Monday, March 26, 2007

A Pale Blue Gas: Part 1


It was the summer of 1984. I was in the first year of my graduate work and I was cleaning up a project initiated by a previous graduate student. Greg was remarkable. He had a gift for being able to prepare and isolate important compounds by accident. Halogen facilitated oxidation of group IV and V compounds? He discovered it by realizing that he had incorrectly added elemental halogen to a reaction. The cycloaddition of SNS+ to pi bonds? Discovered while he was trying to find a good solvent for SNSAsF6 and he tried acetonitrile and was unable to recover his solute. I had come along at the end of his run and picked up the SNS+ reactions with pi bonds and had started with alkynes. I had prepared a variety of compounds using the SNS+ / alkyne reaction and they had worked well. My supervisor Jack decided that I should go to England to learn how to do cyclic voltametry in liquid sulphur dioxide. That brought me into the sphere of Arthur a fragile, dedicated chemist of the collegial old school. It was in Durham that I was trying to do anion exchange reactions to get rid of the AsF6- anions so that the cyclic voltametry would work better (in fact it never did "work"). One day, late in the afternoon, I would wash a solution of CAT into a solution of potassium iodide and to my wondering eyes the whole flask filled with a pale blue gas. I knew all that had come before me and I knew that I had discovered something new. I was seeing something important for the first time and it was important and new not only for me but for my whole discipline. My real research career had begun.

No comments: